You've deployed Samba: Now get the most out of it with today's definitive guide to maximizing Samba performance, stability, reliability, and power in your production environment. Direct from members of the Samba Team, The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide, Second Edition
, offers the most systematic and authoritative coverage of Samba's advanced features and capabilities. It has been extensively updated to reflect major improvements in the Samba-3.0 series of releases and additional performance enhancements in Samba-3.0.20 and later.
Use this book to go far beyond basic deployment, leveraging all of Samba's components, from directory services to remote administration. Use it to find practical optimization techniques for any environment, from the workgroup to the enterprise. Use it to find detailed guidance and best practices for troubleshooting and problem solving. And, if your background is in Windows networking, use this book to get up to speed rapidly with Samba network administration in Linux/UNIX environments. Coverage includes:
- User Rights and Privileges features and their impact on default system behavior
- Expanded LDAP capabilities, the new Winbind subsystem, and Samba's improved ACL handling
- Detailed coverage of the powerful Samba-3.x net local/remote administration utility
- Comprehensive documentation of IDMAP functionality
- Proven techniques for improving performance with large directories
- Samba integration with Windows Server 2003 and the latest versions of Active Directory
- Advanced techniques: interdomain trusts, loadable VFS file system drivers, distributed authentication, desktop profile management, CUPS printing, high availability, and more
- Contains a dramatically improved, more-detailed index
By: John H. Terpstra and Jelmer R. Vernooij. Published by Prentice Hall. Part of the Bruce Perens' Open Source Series.